Tuesday, April 20, 2010

That's What Friends Are For..

I was going to write this whole post about the different smells of New York City and basically how sick they make me feel during a morning run before I've eaten anything and before anyone sane is awake and functioning, but I decided to go the sentimental route today. I have been posting and talking about my rut for the past week and a half, and I know it's kind of like beating a dead horse, but I really didn't know what to do with myself! I was pretty much convinced that I wasn't going to make the goal that I set for myself, and I was getting nervous (although now I have a freakishly close connection to the kids in my class with behavior plans that get down on themselves when they don't reach their goals...). Slowly though, I realized the people around me have been helping me along this journey, whether they realize it or not.

When I posted my challenge and shared it with my near and dear Facebook friends, most of which I haven't spoken to, um ever, it, to my surprise, inspired some people to start challenges of their own. I slowly realized that I was having more and more conversations with people about working out, and they started reporting to me daily about what they had done at the gym or on their runs. I've been receiving little notes that I had inspired people to start goals of their own, which was not my intention at all. I've been inspired, too, by all of the connections I've been making along my journey. I understand that my rut is normal, that other people have them too, and that there really is every excuse in the world to not go for a run. That when people check in on me they genuinely want to hear about my successes, they aren't trying to nag me or get on my back because they think I'm not doing as much as I should (which I previously thought). I love hearing about what other people are doing, what events they are training for, and any type of advice they may have.

I can't thank everyone enough for the support and the funny stories that I've been getting along this (very bumpy) ride :)

I'm back on track though...I didn't run at all this weekend, or yesterday for that matter, but I ran this morning and again tonight, with a total of 6 miles today. I feel great, but I am definitely going to sleep in tomorrow. I usually get out of work earlier than normal on Wednesdays, so it is the perfect time to go for a nice long run.

37 down/38 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment